BVICCHA Hosts Compliance Training for NPO's
The AML/CFT and Compliance Fundamentals Training for Non-Profit Organizations (NPOs), the first event hosted by the BVI Chamber of Commerce and Hotel Association (BVICCHA or “the Chamber”) this year, was held Friday, 9 April 2021, in the BVI Finance conference room.
This event, held in partnership with the BVI Association of Compliance Officers and Practitioners (BVIACO), saw 50 individuals (virtual and in-person) assist their NPOs with meeting the requirements for NPOs to have Anti-Money Laundering/Combating the Financing of Terrorism (AML/CFT) training at least once a year, as required by Section 47 – 49 of the Anti-Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing Code of Practice, 2008 as amended. The Non-Profit Organizations Act, 2012 defines an NPO as a body of persons, whether incorporated or unincorporated, established solely or primarily for the promotion of charitable, religious, cultural, educational, social or fraternal purposes, or other activities or programs for the benefit of the public. It is further defined as a section of the public that raises or disburses funds in pursuance of its objectives primarily within the Territory of the Virgin Islands.
Topics covered and presenters included:
- Consider security your number #1 priority! The Rules of AML/CFT/CFP & Sanctions! - Sheynel Smith, Managing Director, Driftwood Advisory Services Ltd
- The Fundamentals of a Compliance Manual. What are the rules and who should follow them! - Sheynel Smith, Managing Director, Driftwood Advisory Services Ltd
- The NPO Registration Process! Who, how and when? - Colette Callwood, Registrar, NPO Board, Ministry of Health
- It only counts when it's in writing! The Fundamentals of Record Keeping! - Lesia Grazette, Secretary, BVI Association of Compliance Officers & Practitioners
- It all starts with you! Training an NPO expert! - T’sa James Hodge, Chairman, BVI Association of Compliance Officers & Practitioners
- The Role of the Designated Person & Senior Management! A call to action! - Stacyann Shaw-Goodridge, Education Chair, BVI Association of Compliance Officers & Practitioners
- Panel Discussion: International and local requirements, The role of the FIA, and SARS
- Dwyane Thomas, Deputy Director, Financial Investigation Agency
- Faryal George, Senior Compliance Examiner, Financial Investigation Agency
- T’sa James Hodge, Chairman, BVI Association of Compliance Officers & Practitioners
The Chamber is grateful to be able to resume hosting events, which have been on hold since February 2021. The next workshop will be Grant Writing for NPOs, Small Businesses, Private institutions on 21 May 2021. The presenter is slated to be Dinnelle Henley of Unified Events, an NPO that has successfully attained several grants over the years.
Please visit the Chamber’s website at www.bviccha.org or follow us on Facebook at BVICCHA for more information. You may also call us at 345-3513 or email email@example.com.